Social Skills Group is for children with social difficulties, anxiety in social situations or mild to moderate autism spectrum disorder!
Will My Child Benefit From A Social Skills Group?
The program is facilitated by 2 practitioners – child psychologist, speech pathologist or occupational therapist and provides children the opportunity to develop their play, social and emotional skills in a fun and engaging environment. The group is tailored to support each child’s individual goals.
Children will be supported to:
- Be flexible with play ideas
- Develop pretend play
- Initiate and sustain play with peers
- Identify emotions
- Follow routines
- Greet peers
- Play cooperatively with peers
- Problem solve
- Turn take
- Understand friendships
- Understand other people’s perspective
Social Skills Group runs for 8 weeks during school terms.
Term 1 2019 Program Dates - now taking registrations
- Pre-School (Wednesday 2:00pm – 2:45pm) registrations are OPEN! - 8 weeks: Wednesday 6th February 2019 - Wednesday 27th March 2019
- Grade 1 – Grade 3 (Tuesday’s 3:00pm – 3:45pm) registrations are OPEN! - 8 weeks: Tuesday 5th February 2019 - Tuesday 26th March 2019
Term 2 2019 Program Dates - now taking registrations!
- Pre-School (Wednesday 2:00pm – 2:45pm) registrations are OPEN! - 8 weeks: Wednesday 1st May 2019 - Wednesday 19th June 2019
- Prep – Grade 2 (Monday’s 3:00pm – 3:45pm) registrations are OPEN! - 7 weeks: Monday 29th April 2019 - Monday 17th June 2019
How Does My Child Join A Social Skills Group?
Think your child might benefit from joining our Social Skills Group?
1. Call us today to discuss your interest in the Social Skills Group on 03 9702 4447.
You don’t need a referral from a GP – call us for a chat and we’ll be able to assess whether your child may benefit from joining our Social Skills Group.
2. Meet with one of our team for a pre-program planning appointment.
A pre-program appointment is booked in with a psychologist, speech pathologist or occupational therapist. During the pre-program appointment, we will meet with you and your child to get a sense of the areas that your child needs support as well as their strengths. Based on your child’s individual needs, we set specific goals that will be targeted in group. We also get to know your child so that they feel comfortable coming into group.
3. Your child participates in the 8 week Social Skills Group.
Social Skills Group is fun and engaging and kids love the activities! Parents do not attend the group sessions, but can either wait in the reception area or go for a coffee and come back towards the end of the group. After each group, you will receive an update from the facilitators about what was covered and things that you and your child can work on at home.