Children diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder present with social difficulties that impact on their ability to function well at home and at school. This can include difficulties in:
- Having a back and forth conversation with others
- Initiating interactions with others
- Making or maintaining eye contact
- Sharing interests with others
- Understanding and developing friendships
- Reading others facial expressions and body language
Children with autism also present with restricted behaviours or repetitive patterns of behaviour. This can include (this list is not exhaustive):
- Lining up toys
- Being preoccupied with certain objects, toys or interests
- Playing with parts of objects instead of the whole e.g. spinning wheels of a toy
- Parroting others speech
- Difficulty coping with changes during the day or times when they have to transition between activities
- Sensory issues e.g. sensitivity to noise, touch, texture
- Mannerisms e.g. flapping, rocking, toe walking
Early intervention services are pivotal for the social, emotional and behavioural development for children with autism.
How We Can Help
As autism is diagnosed on a spectrum, two children may have the same diagnosis but present quite differently and require different levels of support in the classroom and at home.
Kids At Max provides parents with autism support and education in Melbourne, as well as therapy focused on the specific needs of the child. This includes developing play skills, social skills training, emotional development and behaviour management.
We believe in a collaborative approach where the psychologist, speech pathologist or occupational therapist works together with other professionals supporting the child, including the child’s paediatrician, teacher or GP.
Booking in to see one of our qualified therapists is simple:
1. Call us today to make an appointment on 03 9702 4447.
You don’t need a referral from a GP – call us for a chat and we’ll be able to assess whether your child may benefit from our services.
2. Meet with one of our therapists for an assessment.
Our Melbourne team will meet with you and your child to identify their individual needs and outline specific strategies and goals for their development
3. We’ll develop a therapy plan that meets your child’s needs.
As each child with autism can present differently and may have different strengths and areas that they require support, in collaboration with you and your child, we can determine what areas to focus on for therapy and who will best to support you e.g. psychologist, speech pathologist, occupational therapist. We incorporate play and fun activities to encourage your child’s engagement in therapy, as well as incorporating practical tools and strategies that you and your child can continue practicing at home and school.
If you would like further information about our Melbourne autism support services, or how to have your child assessed for Autism Spectrum Disorder, please call us on 03 9702 4447.